Sarah and I went to Sachsenhausen concentration camp in Oranienburg, a small town just outside of Berlin. It's a dead town with very few people. Personally, I could not imagine ever living in a place that once had a concentration camp. I just don't understand. There are houses directly across from the camp and you can see into it from their upstairs windows.
Above image: The words in the above image means, "Work brings freedom" or "work shall set you free" and was found on almost all the gates to Nazi concentration camps, including Auschwitz.
Above this gate is a tower that had a gun pointing out of it – this gun was never fired during the period that Sachscenhausen was occupied. However, it was more the idea that there was a guard in the tower watching the prisoners that was important in its use. This form of panopticism exhibited incredible power over the minds of the prisoners.
Above: If you stepped onto this rubble, you were shot. In order to escape the camp you had to somehow miss being hit by bullets, get over the barbed wire electric fencing, passed vicious dogs and then more guards with snipers. Then if you managed to escape you would then need to find a house where hopefully the person who opened the door was not a Nazi sympathiser and want to risk their own life to hide you.
Above: Where some barracks used to be. These three here were where Jewish artists manufactured fake Deutsche Mark and what the movie The Counterfeiters is based on.
Above: What the barracks looked like.
Above: Inside.
Above: This image kills me. This man was forced to walk down the street while wearing a humiliating sign, while people hurled abuse at him, spat at him and threw objects at him. Look at his face and look at the faces of the people around him. I just can’t even imagine.
Above: Where they hung people accused of homosexuality. You don't want to know how these people died. I can't remember all the details, but I almost passed out.
Above: One of the cells that was used for prisoners that were being punished. In some cells no light could penetrate the room at all and so the prisoner would be without any form of light, sometimes up to four months straight. This is very bad for your psyche and after a while the prisoners would begin to hallucinate and lose their minds. Once freed and due to the sudden flood of light to their eyes, prisoners would be temporarily blinded and thus mocked and physically bullied by the guards.
Above: Prisoners worked in the kitchen and this is some of the original artwork that was left behind by real prisoners.
Above: This was done by a man who was hired to create Nazi propaganda cartoons for newspapers. So while doctors and accountants who helped Nazis during this period were set free, this person was imprisoned for his crime. The following cartoons were drawn by him.
Above: Where prisoners were taken to be shot. There are a number of mass graves nearby this site that I didn't want to take a picture of. They are marked by stones or cement pillars, also with stones covering them.
Station Z. This was a building that was created to exterminate prisoners. Basically what happened was the prisoner would go to this building, their hair was cut off by one person in the first room, then in the next room someone else would look to see if they had any gold in their teeth, then in the next room a guard would paint a cross on their head, then in the next room a doctor would say they want to measure their height. They were placed against the wall where there was a slit with a curtain, behind the curtain was a guard with a pistol who would see the red cross and shoot. Then other prisoners were brought in to collect the body and burry it; the Nazis never had to do any of the dirty work themselves. By breaking up the process, the guards were less at risk of becoming too involved with the killing, as this had been a problem with guards in other camps identifying the prisoner as a real person and later suffering symptoms such as nightmares, flashbacks, depression and other symptoms of what we now recognise as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Organising the executions in this way the guards were removed from ever having any emotional involvment. Instead it was seen as just for example, cutting someone's hair, looking into a mouth with teeth or seeing a red cross. Apparently this way of conducting the killings came from Freud's theories on trauma and anxiety disorders.
After the war, the Soviets then thought this specific area would be the perfect place to build a shooting range of all things, which is why it is in ruins. After much uproar from the public, plans were abandoned but it was too late; the building was completely destroyed and now just remains as a marking place of what once occurred.
I think it's important to discuss it. Hmmm... is it discus or discuss? Both look wrong. I hate when that happens.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, back to my point. I found it weird when I was at Auschwitz and people were taking photos of themselves with the arbeit macht frei sign. That's a bit... odd. Like, "ooh, I was soooo there" or something. I took a photo of the sign, but the camp wasn't one of those places I needed pics of me in.
Of course not because for once things aren't about us. But WTF, why put yourself in the photo!! How inappropriate is that! Were they doing thumbs up as well, because I think I might have, well I'm not sure, but you can bet it wouldn't be good.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of those Aussies on our tour, "Omg, are we ever going to go on a tour in Germany that isn't depressing!" Geez, it's like someone *forced* them to go on the tour or something. Sorry, the fluffy bunny stories about Germany are well, like most country's history, non-existant. Don't mean to be the buzz kill here. People shit me sometimes, and most of them seem to be Australian. Coincidence?
I don't know why I'm so bitter tonight, I just came home from seeing Wicked, which was FANTASTIC by the way.
It's discuss btw. Microsoft Word says so. :-P
ReplyDelete