Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dancing through life, skimming the surface.



Well…we're alive!! And the sleeper train was actually really, very cool. We spent a part of it watching Eurotrip. How apt. If you haven’t seen it you definitely should. Wrong and politically incorrect on so many levels, but unbelievably hilarious.

“Now put your clothes back on, White Boy!”

So I'm feeling very rich at the moment here in Eastern Europe. We had to buy a 26 crown train ticket to get from the main station to our hostel and I was like, "26!! What?! What a rip!" Checked online the conversion rate... yeah that cost us a total of AUD$1.50. I almost wet myself and then Kristi told me to not be so cruel and laugh at their currency and I'm not, honestly. I love their currency! In fact, I want to marry it!

So I have quite a few things that have happened...

Visited family friends in Heidelberg which was very lovely and hung out with Helmut and Honney's granddaughters who are very sweet. The 14 year old, Kira wants to be a journalist and so I was getting grilled for questions. Her English isn't great but I think we got along really well. She's a feisty one that girl! She'll go far, I think. Her sister, Janna is also very nice and Carolin, their cousin who is 18, took Kristi and I out with her friends who made every effort to make sure we were having a good time. The little town of Eberbach is very very cute. We visited the Christmas Markets in Heidelberg Altstadt and had some Glühwein and schokoerdbeeren and kartoffelsuppe. We also walked around the woods there and went up this cable-car, err thing... it's 11:46pm and I've had a long day so my post is lacking in descriptive words... I really need to sleep. We're getting up early to leave for Bratislava by train.


Hannelore, Carolin's mum, me and Carolin. We're having wine because they think Kristi and I are winos. No idea how they got that impression...


Kristi and I up the top of some mountain in Heidelberg


Trudging down a mountain... until we got lost and turned back. 

 
 Heidelberg

 
Heidelberg Christmas Markets. No one does Christmas like the Germans!

Okay, I'll leave proper posts about München Chrissie markets and the Alps, Auschwitz, Krakow and Prague for another day. I should have started this earlier. But it's too late now and I need to go wake up my roomies so I can have a shower. I'm such a selfless roommate. But after having the noisiest and most inconsiderate roommates in Krakow (a trio of Finns), I've learnt that respect for your dormmates is merely an option, not a requirement. No more laying out my pyjamas on my bed before I leave for the night so when I return I can just quietly slip into and go to bed. Nope, I plan on zipping open my suitcase at least 5 times really loudly, rustle a few plastic bags, bang open my locker, fiddle with the keys, drop things, turn the lights on, speak to others (or myself) at normal day-time decibel, take my time getting ready for bed… I mean, this is the courtesy that has been shown to me and I feel I should pay the same respects back. It’s only fair, right? Or is that being vindictive and I should hold my ground and tell them that their behaviour is not acceptable and I won’t tolerate it? I think the latter is the correct answer but it doesn’t give the same sort of satisfaction that the former offers.

And moving on to my last whinge – I promise the next post will be a lot nicer, Prague is beautiful and it’s snowing – well… Kristi and I had booked and paid for our flights to London for the 1st of Jan. We have also booked our hostel, planned our shopping trips, pub outings, food outings (possibly swing-by one of Gordan Ramsay’s Michelin restaurants), plus we have just purchased premium seats at Wicked for the 1st at £85 a pop. So all these plans sound fabulous and we’re really looking forward to them… until we wake up yesterday morning to find out… oh, British Airways cabin crew have decided to ruin Christmas for everyone!! They’re fucking striking at the time we’re supposed to be flying! They have the opportunity to ruin 1 million, I’ll say that again… 1 million people’s Christmas’ and New Years, and more importantly, mine!

Now, one would hope, for their sakes, that they all get their shit together because if they ruin this last hurrah for me there will be tears and they won’t be mine. And I’m quite sure I’m not the only one who is feeling this way about the situation. An ex-colleague of mine, who is currently residing in London, is also currently preparing herself with personal training sessions for the ski holiday she has booked for herself and her boyfriend in France. And how will Adele and boyfriend be getting to said holiday? By British Airways of course. However, now these holiday and gym plans have been thrown into disarray, as we all wait eagerly to see if BA will in fact be the grinch that stole Christmas, and if they do, I’m pretty sure they’re also going to be the airline that ruined a million lives… and their own when the company has to make hundreds of employees redundant for their reckless and unsympathetic actions. If I wasn’t so keen to see London again I almost wish this would happen.

“Oh, I didn’t get to see grandma at her last Christmas… Well guess what, now you’re out of a job and have to live off food scraps and welfare. How do you like ‘dem apples?”

Those motha-effers.

No comments:

Post a Comment