Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I wonder what time it is in Australia...

So, it's 10:05pm here so according to google it is... 6:05am. Eeek, you guys should be getting up to go to work soon! Lucky you!

Something I do not miss is working in jobs I hate. I don't think I realised until now just how draining it was. Never. Again. If I can avoid it.

So, I have now moved out of my apartment and am back in a hostel. It's in Kreuzberg so just down the road from where the apartment is which is great because I'm such an idiot and left half my clothes on the washing line. I was wondering why my bag was easier to pack this time around, hrmm maybe because I was missing half my wardrobe! So I had to go back and get my clothes and walk down the streets with some tops, a dress and some undergarments (hidden, of course) in my hands. Though I did get to see my beautiful sub-letter again. Oh he's so lovely. And he reads Foucault, and understands it! Why must he move to Leipzig, why?!

Luckily with this hostel is that it has free wifi, a kitchen, which is really clean, lockers in the rooms and I only have two roommates at the moment. Both boys but they seem okay. One is a musician and sitting behind me right now and no idea who the other guy is. But there are so many Australians here. They're all in the bar area being really loud and I really do not want to socialise with them. One of them was really cute and I kept catching his eye imagining he was this cool guy from like Sweden or something... nope, he's an Aussie, and has quite a broad accent as well. Ick.

So a few things have made me happy lately:

1. Gossip Girl 3 started and it's fab! Don't you judge me!
2. I downloaded My Big Fat Greek Wedding and watched it until 1:30am the other night and laughed so hard. I forgot how good this film is. Gus, the dad, reminds me so much of my Opa. So stubborn. And being almost force-fed food by family. Though my family isn't as loud as the Portokalos' as it's just my grandparent's, mum and sister who moved to Australia, everyone else stayed put. But we do a lot of fighting, especially when cards are involved.

Opa has been a bit ill lately, apparently. It's a bit hard being away from home when I know he is so sick. But he had some tests done and his white cell count has gone right down for now so that's really positive. Hopefully things stay that way. He was meant to be dead about 2 months ago and he's still going strong. Let's hope he keeps going!

It was also pointed out to me by Andreas that I am more like my Opa than I think, cause if the stubbornness didn't already tip me off. I was telling him how I'm getting restless and ready to perhaps move on to somewhere else, and he goes, "Much like your Opa. He would apparently get restless when he was young and just take off." Yeah, and where did that get him? Skipping the East German border a bunch of times and finally getting caught by the Russians. Well done.

So because that movie made me think of home I ended up crying in all the sappy bits. Oh god, what am I turning into? And then to punish myself even more I downloaded P.S. I Love You (because reading the book doesn't already make me cry on public transport) and cried through that. And then I watched The First Wives Club because I love Bette Midler (and yes, I would go see her in concert).

So with my laptop constantly by my side, I am now back on the Vogue Forums. Huzzah! It's the message boards of Vogue magazine Australia and they are ace! I was looking at the "Random things you miss the most while overseas" thread and here are some of my own and ones I found:

- My bed.
- Trashy magazines in English.
- Seafood.
- Autumn and winter not being that cold, realistically. I will never complain about the cold again. Thank god I brought my fluffy, purple dressing gown. Oh, dressing gown, will you marry me?
- Aussie attitude. I miss the easy-going-ness of Australians.
- Cheap sushi.
- Mangoes.
- Good Indian and Vietnamese food.
- Physie.
- My friends.
- That Australians actually know how to line up. Not wanting to generalise here, but I will anyway. Germans have no idea how to line up! NO IDEA! I am going to snap if one more person pushes in front of me. Check out Sarah’s post on German’s pushing in. Hilarious! CLICKY
- My car!


- Full-length mirrors
- No-smoking laws
- Getting my hair done.
- The beach.
- Not having to pay to use the bathroom.
- Foxtel IQ. *hides* I miss watching Anthony Bourdain. And yes, I'm basically doing exactly what his program is about. But he does it in such a funny, American, sardonic way. Actually I do that too. Minus the funny and American parts.
- The showerhead water pressure. What's with the piss weak showerhead pressure in every hostel?
- Un-bubbly water. ‘Water’ is that digusting mineral water. Have had to spit out many a-mouthfuls.
- Milky Ways. They just taste different here.
- Having access to my wardrobe in one convenient location.
- Being able to actually hear people when talking on the phone and with no delay.
- Steak. Though there is an awesome steakhouse restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg, which Sarah and I discovered. AMAZING steak sauce. But they had the most pretentious menus. They actually tell you how to eat your meals, why you have to wait, why they don’t call their wings buffalo wings. Fuck off. I don't need attitude from a restaurant menu.
- My stereo turned up so loud the bass is making the walls vibrate.
- Not getting charged fees when I withdraw money from 'Geldautomats'.
- Knowing which way to look when crossing the road. I'm still not used to it! I'm going to get hit by a bus one day.
- Bodyattack and bodypump. I'm thinking of taking a random bodypump class just to experience it in German. Eins, zwei, DREI! It'll be scary being shouted at in German.
- Being in the same state as people who love and care about me.
- Having toilet paper at my disposal and not having to go down to the local McDonald's and steal their serviettes on a Sunday because no shops are open.
- Listening to Hamish and Andy.
- Salt and vinegar chips.
- Chocolate moove.

Funny the things you miss... but in saying that, no plans to head south anytime soon. Still way too much to do! I had a pretty shitty last couple of days (hence the chick-flick marathon), but I'm feeling a lot better today.



No comments:

Post a Comment